Saturday, July 12, 2014

Friday.

I have often thought most of the values listed on the stock and other exchanges are illusory.  This takes the illusion to an entirely new level.

Saturday.

I like David Kaiser's blog.  He usually writes a good deal of common sense.  Today's post is no exception as read about yet another snafu at the CDC.  His last paragraph should raise concern in anyone watching the news.  I don't know how much of our society has progressed from suspicion to contempt with regard to our national institutions, agencies, and authorities--but how large a proportion needs to make that journey before we reach a tipping point?  And have we already reached it?

Ah, yes!!  I know this feeling well.  You start a project that seems like a good idea at the time but it simply doesn't work the way you think it will.  You make an adjustment here and a slight change there--sometimes it even works.  However, the quilt top in the box on a shelf that will never be finished, the vest I frogged earlier this summer, the quilt block that is waiting until I can figure out how to repurpose it are all reminding that just as often the little workarounds don't work.

Don't you just love being called stupid by elected representatives and spokespeople for commercial agriculture?  Too often we have been assured by "experts" and politicians that X, Y, or Z product is totally safe only to find out that the claim should be highly qualified or is totally false.   If someone else wants to buy snake oil that is their concern but I should have the information that will allow me to avoid it if I choose.  I recently saw a quote attributed to Robert Heinlein which noted that one of the worst sins a government can perpetrate is to force someone to buy something he doesn't want.  I would say an equal sin is government allowing commercial enterprises to hide what is in their products in the name of profits.  Both totally gut the notion of choice.

No comments: