Tuesday, July 22, 2014

 Tuesday in the Gardens.

Thought I would show you some of what is growing this season now that we are mid-season.  This is the Angel's Perfume geranium from Burpee.  Two of the three survived shipping and transplanting.  They will spend the winter inside.  The do have a beautiful scent as well as very pretty flowers.
Meet the Pesto Perpetuo.  It is a 'sport' which doesn't flower so you don't have to try to keep it from bolting.  I have read some assessment which say the flavor isn't as strong as the flowering varieties but the variegated foliage is interesting.  This is another plant that will spend the winter inside.
Borage and, if you look carefully at the black spot in the lower center of the picture, you can see one of the bees that are visiting the gardens.  I have seen more bees this year but not as many as we had two and three years ago.  I plant borage primarily for the bees.
Overview.  What all is in the garden this year.  Well, the usual tomatoes (Martino's Roma, Patio Princess, and Biltmore) and Peppers (Albino Bullnose, Lipstick, and Cornu di Toro Rosso).  My usual herbs (rosemary, stevia, borage, hyssop, sage, chamomile, shiso, lavender, spearmint, peppermint, lemon basil, sweet basil, purple basil, pesto perpetuo basil, bee balm, summer savory, lemon balm, creeping thyme and lemon basil).  A couple of flowers (rose, red and purple petunia, geranium, and portulaca) and strawberries and wonderberries.
Oh, I almost forgot--the Ms. Mars sunflower, another Burpee variety.  I wasn't all that happy with the early blossoms.  They were rather pale and washed out.  But the later ones showed the vivid colors that attracted me when I ordered them.
Purple hyssop just beginning to bloom.  Another plant I put in primarily for the bees.  It has an added advantage--it makes a nice tea.  The flowers elongate to about four fuzzy inches.
 Two rosemaries and the variegated basil.  The upper rosemary is looking absolutely fantastic now.  Over winter I babied it along expecting it to die any time.  I hope I can keep it and its friend in better condition over this coming winter.
 Wonderberry in bloom--those little white blossoms.  I am looking forward to finding out what they taste like.  That will determine if I will continue planting it in future gardens.  This is the first year I have been able to get it to germinate and grow.  I think it needs warmer temps than we have in the winter in our house.  Next spring I will try it on a heating pad and see what happens.  That is, if I decide the flavor makes it worth while.
Another overview by our gate.  The rose is hidden in the back behind the sunflowers, hyssop and petunias.  Next year, if it makes it through the winter, I will plant some smaller plants where the hyssop and petunias are.  The sunflower is in a separate container.  The birds enjoy that little birdbath.  I tried it in the large container but couldn't find stabilize it.  We decided to put it on the patio cement.

That is all the garden news for now.

No comments: