Friday, May 8, 2015

Thursday--

Yesterday was gloriously warm and sunny--after the fog dissipated.  I did get a new batch of the hummingbird nectar mixed and the feeder up.  Also did a bit of rearranging of the containers.  Planted the sunflowers and when the plants come up I will start the beans that will use the sunflowers as a trellis.  On tap for today: transplanting the hyssop, tong ho, and some of the tomatoes.  Starting the peas (a small pot variety--Tom Thumb), cucumbers and squash.  We have to go out and get Mom's prescription so we will also go buy the garden shop and get our strawberries, spearmint and peppermint.  How much I will get done I don't know but I should have some time tomorrow before the rain moves back in.

Friday--

Warm---very warm--and sunny yesterday.  I got a large part of my transplanting done though we came home from the garden shop with a whole bunch of herbs and the strawberries.  We weren't impressed with the strawberries we thought we would try--so far.  They had a package of ten essentially bare root plants all bound together with a rubber band.  Nothing about them looked alive.  I planted them anyway and I will see how they do.  I can always replace the with others if they fail.  I hope to get some more plants and seeds in before the rain hits.

So what do I have planned in the gardens or planned?  Tomatoes of course.  (Costoluto, Amish gold, tumbler, MicroTom, Red Robin and Roselle.)  Peppers.  (Violet Sparkle, albino bullnose, and lipstick.)  Peas. (Half Pint, a.k.a. Tom Thumb.)  Beans. (Red asparagus, Gold Marie vining, scarlet runner Sunset variety, Blauhild.)  Greens. (Tong ho, mizuno, orach.)  Cucumbers. (Dragon's egg, Barese.)  Squash.  (Cupcake.)  Sunflowers. (Candy Mountain, Gold Queen.)  Herbs.  (lavender, rosemary, hyssop, Moldavian balm, Bee Balm, lemon balm, lemon basil, sweet basil, spearmint, peppermint, stevia, summer savory, oregano, sage.)  Sweet potato.  (Beauregard.) I may have forgotten something in here.

No comments: